Good morning and Happy Daylight Savings!
Like Zach said in the last post, we have been really trying to blog more, but we have found it has been very difficult with how busy we have been. I guess with spring (which is supposedly on its way) has us busier than usual. Zach and I are both doing the Open also, so we may be spending a little more time at the gym. Andy by “we” I mean “him”.
Things have been good lately, I feel that the initial shock of eating 100% paleo has pretty much subsided. I don’t have the urge to eat breads or pastas or anything like that, but I still do have some things that I miss.. .mostly cheese!
Last night, we had game night at our friends, Sam and Scott’s house. They also eat paleo and invited friends over who were paleo eaters. I don’t think there was one time that I have been to a party and can eat everything that they put out, and not have to worry about what is in it or feel guilty about what I just ate. They also made an impressive amount of food… I was in paleo heaven. They had appetizers out when we got there: rosemary roasted almonds, veggie and fruit plate, and Nom Nom Paleo’s prosciutto wrapped prunes/almonds ( I don’t know how I have gone so long without these in my life!).
I would have probably been good with just the apps! But NO, the main course was even more extravagant!
They made the slow cooker short ribs from Nom Nom Paleo that we have posted about in our blog earlier this year
They had Orange Glaze Chicken Drumsticks that were also from Nom Nom
Scott’s famous sweet potatoes with a sweet glaze
Roasted cauliflower with spices
We brought a broccoli salad (recipe at the bottom)
We also made a prosciutto spinach salad with a citrus vinaigrette that is from Giada’s cookbook (recipe also at bottom)
I know you are probably thinking, “I want to be friends with Sam and Scott”, but you can’t because they are OUR friends!!! lol, jk.
We did really enjoy eating well, being around a good group of people and playing some fun games. I will say that every game that we played, I happened to be on the winning team…
Today, we will be heading up to downtown Naperville to meet up with friends and have lunch. Also, next weekend, Michelle Tam, the author of Nom Nom Paleo, will be in Naperville for a book signing. We ALREADY got tickets to go see her and a bunch of our friends are going too 😀 I am so excited! I hope to get a picture with her and potentially become her best friend.
Here are the recipes from the broccoli salad and the prosciutto spinach salad:
Broccoli Salad– we doubled it and it fed about 11 cavepeople
- 3 bacon strips
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup finely minced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup Paleo Mayonnaise (see recipe here)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Place the bacon on a plate lined with paper towels and set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings.
- In a large bowl, mix together the broccoli, raisins, sunflower seeds and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar and the reserved bacon drippings. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the broccoli and mix well.
- Dice the reserved bacon and fold it into the broccoli salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate the salad until ready to serve.
- 6 slices prosciutto (baked in oven until crispy)
- 10 to 12 ounces pre-washed spinach
Dressing (put in a small blender/food processor)
- 2 small oranges, juiced or 1 large orange, juiced
- 2 oranges, zested
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil